Becoming a Physiotherapist

Fifteen universities offer a professional Master’s degree in physiotherapy in Canada – ten in English; five in French.

Program graduates are eligible to write the national Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) which is a requirement in most provinces to register and work as a physiotherapist.

Learn more about the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE)

Becoming a Physiotherapist Assistant (PTA)

Physiotherapist assistants in Canada work under the direction of a licensed physiotherapist in the provision of physiotherapy services. They receive their education in programs at a technical or community college, or a university. The programs may carry different titles including:

  • Physiotherapy Assistant/Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
  • Rehabilitation Assistant Program
  • Therapist Assistant Program
  • Rehabilitation Therapy Assistant Program

List of PTA programs